This recipe uses the same ingredients as last week’s Burgers.
1 medium onion, finely diced
2 medium carrots, grated
½ cup breadcrumbs, wholemeal
2 Tbsp reduced-salt/sugar tomato sauce
- Mix all the ingredients together and form into meatballs.
- Prepare the soup by lightly cooking a finely chopped onion in a saucepan with a little oil
- Add a can of chopped tomatoes, a drained can of chickpeas or beans and 1 cup water.
- Add a large diced carrot and any other vegetables you have available.
- Season with black pepper and grated lemon rind.
- Place the meatballs into the soup and simmer gently until cooked through.
This meal can be found in the Cheap Eats cook book put out by The Heart Foundation in conjunction with the New Zealand Federation of Family Budgeting Services. You can download a copy here: http://www.heartfoundation.org.nz/healthy-living/healthy-eating/free-healthy-food-cookbooks