Tuna Macroni Bake Serves 4
1 Tb margarine or butter
1 Tb flour
1 cup milk
1 cup macaroni
310g can tuna
2 Tb salad dressing (optional)
- Make a white sauce by melting the margarine in a medium sized saucepan. Stir in the flour and cook very gently, stirring for a minute.
- Add the milk gradually letting the mixture thicken between each addition. Set aside until needed.
- Bring water to the boil in a saucepan, add the macaroni and simmer with the lid on for about 10 minutes or until the pasta is tender.
- Gently stir the macaroni and tuna into the white sauce, season to taste and add salad dressing if desired.
- Heat through and serve with a green vegetable, coleslaw or beetroot.
Instead of tuna, you can add 2 cups of mixed vegetables.
Top with grated cheese if available.
This recipe is taken from the cookbook “Easy Meals” which was sponsored by Tauranga Budget Advisory Service and Tauranga Community Foodbank with contributions from Mount Maunganui & District Lioness Club and New World Brookfield. It is full of recipes created by dietitian Gillian Tustin using common Foodbank Ingredients.